Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Meet Alea

As some of you may remember, I've started working on a new project.  Because of this, I thought I'd give you a bit of an insight into one of my characters.

{Via}

Hello!  What's your name?
Alea Fairweather.  (Ah-Lee-Ah Fair-Weather)

Alright, well, hello Alea.  How old are you?
Seventeen.

That's cool!  Do you have any family?
I have a sister, Lilja (Lil-ya).  But we don't exactly get along.

What do you mean by that?
Well, she kicked me out of our home because she thought I was impeding her chances of seducing the prince into marrying her.

Uh... right.  What's your race?
Human.

Nice, nice.  Favorite food?
I'm not sure.  I'm not too picky.  Probably something with chicken in it, or soup, I quite like soup.

Do you have any aspirations or dreams or goals?
Well, my current goal is to get to the Hiekka Maa (He-ekk-ah Maw), the desert in my country.  I'd like to meet the people who live there, and see if I can seek shelter there.  It has always fascinated me, and been my dream to live there.  That's actually what I'm doing now, seeing as Lilja kicked me out.

Wow!  That's kind of an unusual dream.  Any particular reason why you chose the desert?
Well, it's about as different from my mountain home as possible, so that's partly why.  Also, when my father was alive, he would tell me stories about his adventures there, and how much he loved it, and I would like to follow in his footsteps.

You mentioned earlier that you didn't get along with Lilja too well, and that she kicked you out because of a prince.  Can you expand on that a bit more?
Alright.  It's kind of complicated.  But basically (long story short), I was in the forest, and I found the prince of our country, and he was hurt, so I took him home and nursed him back to health.  But when we figured out he was a prince, Lilja kicked me out, because she wanted a chance to become queen.

Hmm.  Sounds like you've got some family problems there, eh?
A bit, yeah.  I've not been too good friends with Lilja since we were little kids, though, so it's not too surprising.  I think since our father died, she's considered me more of a hindrance, than a sister.

Alright, well I'm going to shake things up a bit.  Do you believe in love at first sight?
No, not really.  I mean, how can you just know you love someone if you haven't talked to them?  If you don't know their personality?  I think the idea of love at first sight is sort of superficial, it claims that love is based on looks, and just maybe one or two short conversations.  I think that love has to be built up over time, and for it to work, people have to be both similar and different, in a balance that's just right.

Alright, now for some more random questions.  Are you a righty or a lefty?
Righty.  My handwriting with my left hand is atrocious, though I think it would be really cool to be ambidextrous.

Favorite animal?
Horses, definitely.  Mirabelle, my horse, is my best friend, and we've been through a lot together.  But if not horses, then probably cats.  I've always wanted a cat, but Lilja would never let me get one.

Do you think you're an organized person?
I'm kind of half-and-half.  I prefer neat rooms, but I find that my room gets messy easily, and it's hard to motivate myself to clean it.

Do you have a big secret?  Will you tell it to me?
I don't think you understand what the word 'secret' means.

What's your favorite color?  Why?
Probably green, because it's the color of trees, and I love trees.  They're one thing I will definitely miss, when I get to the desert, but I think it will be worth it.

Do you enjoy reading?
Immensely.  I think it's very enjoyable.

What about friends?  Do you have many?
Not really.  I lived four days ride from the nearest town, and so it was mostly just me and Lilja, who, as is quite obvious by now, wasn't a great friend.  I knew some of the town girls, but we only talked occasionally, when I went into town for supplies, or the fair.

Well, thanks Alea!  This was really interesting.  Did you enjoy this questionnaire?
It was okay.  But these things are never that fun.

The Dandy Lioness

4 comments:

  1. She sounds like an interesting character and an interesting story behind her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. alea sounds awesome. I like her dream; original!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the names and words in your story!

    Great character interview/questionnaire. :)

    And I'm exactly the same when it comes to organization. Clean rooms are nice, but getting them that way . . . yeah. Not really something I jump to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Krista: Thanks!

    @Mika: Yeah, I had fun with that. I really wanted to incorporate a desert into a story somehow, and then I just sat down one day, and then her plot line appeared. :D

    @Eagle: Thanks! A lot of the words are actually Finnish. Hiekka Maa means (according to Google Translate, so I'm not sure how accurate this is) "Sand Land" in Finnish. And Lilja means Lily in Finnish. (If my memory serves correct. I'm too lazy to look it up.) I ended up picking Finnish for the language to pick from, because I'm part Finnish, and I thought it would be a nice connection. Also, some of the words just look/sound really pretty. :P

    ReplyDelete