Sunday, May 6, 2012

Snippets of Story- May

So, I'm linking up with Katie this month for Snippets of Story!  I'm glad to see that people like Alea, I think she's really fun and interesting to write.  Because of this (and because it's my only current WIP that I like) I'm going to give you some snippets from her story!

{Via}
{Alea, who would, in my mind, be played by Keira Knighley.}

She was free, finally free.  But it didn’t feel that way.  It didn’t feel like she had imagined it.  She had been cast out; she had not flown out, of her own free will.  She’d been cast out, cast away, by the only person she knew.  It didn’t feel like freedom. 
-Alea and Sancha's story

The innkeeper raised her eyebrows.  “Where are you headed then, youngster?” she asked kindly.
“The Hiekka Maa,” said Alea, taking a bite of toast.
“All by yourself?”  The innkeeper was horrified.
Alea laughed.  “Yes, all by myself.  I’ve lived too long cooped up with others who I didn’t particularly like, but I had to listen to.  I’m ready to find my own way.  And I’ve always wanted to go to the Hiekka Maa.”
The innkeeper pursed her lips.  “Are you sure you don’t want a position in my kitchens, lass?  I’m sure there’s room.  You could settle down, find a nice boy, get married.  Start a family.”
Alea shook her head.  “I’m afraid that’s just not what I’m looking for at the moment.  I’m seventeen.  I’m young.  I need to adventure while I still can—I want to find my own path, ma’am.”
-Alea and Sancha's story

“I think you misunderstand me,” he said, smiling cruelly at her.  “You need a man to be with you.”
“No,” said Alea, her eyes flashing.  “I think you misunderstand me.  I don’t need a man to be with me.”
“I think you do,” he said, stepping in front of her once again, when she tried to move forward.  “You need a man to protect you.  You can’t go on alone.  It’s unsafe.”
“I think I will be much more unsafe if you join me, actually,” said Alea.  “I’m fine on my own, thanks.”
She moved forward once again, and this time, he raised his hand to strike her.  But Alea moved faster.  She delivered a swift punch to his ribcage, ducking beneath his defenses, and ramming into him.  He doubled over in surprise, and she kicked him out of the way.  He crumpled, and fell to the side of the passageway.
“Like I said,” she said, as she walked past him.  “You misunderstood me.”
-Alea and Sancha's story

I think it's becoming pretty obvious through these snippets along with what you learned about her in my previous post (linked to above), that freedom means a lot to Alea.  She doesn't like being bullied, and she's always ready to fight back.  She's a strong girl, and she knows what she believes it.  She wants to be free, and doesn't want anyone to stand in her way.  I really like this about her, that freedom means a lot to her.  She won't back down, she won't let other people push her around.  I didn't really expect that to be as strong of a theme in this as it's turning out to be, but I think it's really good, that she knows who she is and what she believes in.

The Dandy Lioness

5 comments:

  1. Alea sounds pretty awesome, haha. I'd be curious to see what kind of trouble she gets herself into. The last little bit was entertaining and just how I like to see heroines!

    Sunny.

    P.S. I found you through Whisperings of a Pen in case you were wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This sounds like one of the most interesting books-in-progress I’ve found on a blog yet. I am interested in hearing more of it. How many words do you have written so far? How many is your goal?
    ~Aidyl
    www.aidylewoh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessss! I was totally waiting for this. :)
    Alea gets awesomer the more I read about her. I hope you continue to post bits of this WIP; I want to know what will happen as the story progresses. Your writing makes me smile. I mean, not the part where the guy was trying to hit her, 'cause, y'know, that wouldn't be good, but the other parts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sunny: Thanks! She certainly is the kind of person to get herself into trouble, but I think she would be able to worm her way out of it as well. xD

    @Aidyl: Aww, thanks! That's really sweet! Currently I have 8,298 words on Alea's story. I try not to put a goal for my writing, because I find it works better if I just let the story go, now stretch it out, so I'm just kind of letting it go wherever Alea takes it, and for however long she wants it to go.

    @Mika: Thanks! I really like Alea, I think she's definitely one of my favorite characters I've ever written. And that's really sweet about it making you smile-- *hugs*. I was kind of iffy about including the piece where he tries to hit her, but I really liked her reaction, and I found the end humorous, so I decided to just go for it, and put it up. "Like I said, you misunderstand me," is one of my favorite lines I've written of her so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like a exciting character to write and fun to read. I just can't help wondering if what she thinks she wants isn't really what would make her happy...

    ReplyDelete